The past few weeks have been filled with a lot of great stories, and since many have asked, I thought it best to just write them all down here.

About a week and a half ago, I went up to Portland to visit some good friends from Westmont. I hadn't seen them in at least two or three years, so we were way overdue for a visit. I cannot explain how great it was to catch up, see Portland, have coffee, go to the Saturday market and just hang out. I got to see my friend Christina (I wrote about her recently and asked for prayer about her brain tumor) and she is amazing and healed! Her story is an incredible encouragement to me and gives me strength to trust in the Lord and live life to its fullest every day. I had dinner with friends that I worked with as an RA and spent a semester with in San Francisco, and it was amazing to look around and see where we are and what we have done in life since that time. I'm currently serving on the board of a non-profit organization called These Numbers Have Faces (http://www.thesenumbers.com/). My good friends who started the organization live in Portland, so I got to see the main "headquarters" for the organization (aka my friend Justin's attic). They are working so hard for this cause, and simply being around them got me thinking and dreaming and brainstorming with them. After this trip, I was overwhelmed by the friends that God has given me for my journey and I love listening to each one of their stories. When I was having coffee with my friend Joy, she reminded me of just how important community is for life. We cannot walk through life alone; we must have one another.

This became all the more evident this past weekend when I went backpacking with my friends Abby and Sarah (we went backpacking together last summer). We decided to take a short trip, just to "get away", and the timing was perfect. Looking back, I think we all needed this time desperately to think, be still, be challenged and encourage one another. At different times throughout the trip, we were able to be honest with each other and also speak truth into one another's lives.

The whole trip took a new turn late Sunday night. Around midnight, we were woken up by a woman shining a flashlight into our tent, calling out for help because something was wrong with her husband. We all quickly got dressed and walked over to the couple's tent where the man was laying inside. As a nurse, Abby was quick to know exactly what to look for and did an amazing job of staying calm and assessing the situation. The man had severe abdominal pain, was throwing up and could not even stand up, while his wife stood nearby crying and wondering what was going on. We all knew that this man needed immediate medical attention, so we decided that we needed to pack out and get him help. At this point, I'm still feeling disoriented but I have never packed a bag so fast in my whole life! In 20 minutes, we had our tent, sleeping bag, supplies and clothes packed and ready to go, and we set out on the trail at 12:30am.

We took the same trail out that we took coming in, and we knew it was about 6.6 miles back to our car. The trail basically takes you up and over this mountain. We only had two flashlights and the moon to guide us, and thankfully we had pumped extra water the day before. Some parts of the trail were open and bright, others were dense and eerie. All I remember thinking was, "just keep walking. Follow the girls and put one foot in front of the other." I couldn't let my mind wander or else I would think of every scary movie or TV show that takes place in some creepy forest. There was a sort of quiet calm over everything and the occasional bird chirping reminded me that we weren't the only ones awake in the wilderness. We just kept hiking for the next 4 hours in the dark, knowing that we had to make good time and knowing that the couple couldn't do anything but wait.

We finally made it back to my car around 4:30am, drove down the hill a ways, and called 911. The dispatcher must have been as tired as we were because she kept thinking that we were the ones with abdominal pain. We gave her our location and she sent the fire department to find us. When they arrived, we had to explain once again that "no, we aren't in pain" and "no, the man is not with us!"- he's 6.6 miles out in the woods! The firefighters were ready to hike in and rescue him, and yet we all hoped that they could secure a helicopter (or "bird" as they called it) to save the man instead. They took us back to the fire station, and again, I thought of every movie where people are saved and they get taken back to some station, given blankets and hot coffee. Everything was true this time except the blankets! We had to give them our information and then locate the man's position on a map. They asked us a lot of questions about his condition and the trails we took, and finally they found a helicopter that could go in after him. We left the station about 7:30am, tired, extremely dirty, hungry and thirsty, and we stumbled into an IHOP for breakfast. The Rooty Tooty Fresh n Fruity never tasted so good.

As I write this, I still cannot believe it happened. We did hear later on that the man was rescued and taken to a hospital, yet we never received a final confirmation as to what was wrong or as to his current condition. Thankfully, he seemed to be doing well. I could not have done this without Abby or Sarah, and they gave me the strength and courage to keep moving on even though my legs felt like they couldn't. I haven't fully processed this whole experience, yet what I do know is that I learned so much about fear and perseverence and grace and pride and faith and trust. As cliche as the metaphor might be, there are times in life when you walk through the "dark night of the soul" and all you can do is take one step at a time. It's at those times when you need people in front and behind you, where you can follow their light and their steps and they help you to keep going. I've said before that something is cliche until it becomes true for you, and now I know this to be true. The story of your life needs more characters than just you and I'm thankful to have all of you in my story...
much love...
alair

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write so beautifully... thanks for sharing. It blesses me to read what you write and am touched by the words. Thanks

Mark Sayovitz said...

how awesome alair!! community rocks and so does GOD!! i can't wait to hear about this in person... thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That was amazing! All things in God's perfect timing for sure! It's so awesome to have friends like that too.

Joy said...

wow...what an amazing story. I am so happy I read it and happy to know that I have friends like you during this "dark night of the soul."

xoxo

love, Joy

Joy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joy said...

wow...what an amazing story. I am so happy I read it and happy to know that I have friends like you during this "dark night of the soul."

xoxo

love, Joy