Release.

This weekend, I had to say goodbye to two of my best friends. Last night, I drove my friend Abby to the airport and, standing as close as I could get to the security line, watched her get ready to board a plane for Haiti. She will be there for two weeks, working on a medical emergency response team. She got ready in a matter of days and volunteered her nursing skills to save others. I know she will do an amazing job.

Tonight, I waved goodbye to my friend Sarah as she and her husband packed their cars to the brim and drove off to Colorado. They're starting off on a new adventure and waiting to see what God has in store for them. They were some of the first friends I made when I joined my church and I have countless memories with both of them. I know she has an incredible new season of life ahead of her.

And so I'm sitting here crying because I miss them both. I am so proud of them because they made such fearless decisions, and yet those choices required a lot of sacrifice, pain, tears and heartache. I think I've learned this weekend that I have to release my friends to pursue the journeys that God has for them. If my future looks like an uncharted wilderness, and I'm working on finding my own way, how could I ever imagine that I could tell my friends what to do. I will walk with them and cheer for them and cry with them, but I will not tell them where to go. I may point out some signposts or even warn them about dangerous trails that I've taken, yet I have to trust that God will lead them where he wants them to go...

...and I can't wait to see what amazing places those are!

much love to you all,
alair

2 comments:

joshua said...

Oh Alair. I feel your pain, I really do. The good thing is, you will always love them, and they you. And when you get back together, it will be as if you were never apart. I miss all of you! Keep on trusting, keeping on believing. (:

Choco Girl said...

It is really hard to say goodbye to friends! *big hug* especially those friendships that were made at Flood. I've gotten to the point of thinking that now I have new places to go visit and see my friends. God knows your desires and He will provide. He always does!