Be Yourself

Three years ago, I was in South Africa. I was on a trip that would change my life, my passion, and my idea of my calling. At first, I remember feeling so discouraged by language and culture barriers, and I was constantly questioning what I was supposed to be "doing" on this trip. Finally, one of the missionaries confronted me with a phrase that shifted my entire perspective: "Alair, just show up." That's it? Really? I'm not supposed to be orchestrating life-changing conversations or inspire hope in the masses or perform miracles? Wow. All I can do is show up and then see what God wants to do.

Three days ago, I was at San Diego Hospice in a counseling session. Part of my internship requires videotaping several counseling sessions with clients, and then showing my "work" to my supervisors and colleagues. My first video was a huge learning experience: I received some very helpful feedback and I was quite proud of the fact that I am actually doing therapy! After reviewing my video several times, one major thing stuck out to me: I was holding back from being myself. The phrase from South Africa haunts me; I wasn't showing up. So that's what I need to do? Really? I'm not supposed to be incorporating multiple theories and psychological data or create this "ah-ha" moment for clients or pull complex meanings out of stories? Wow. While I do believe in the importance of all that I've learned in school and all of the training I've received, nothing can make up for the power of being present and bringing my entire self into the therapy room.

If we're still discussing the theme of Change, then this was a tremendous change for me. And once I decided to change and actually be more authentic and real with my clients, the changes in our work together have been incredible. This type of mindset is so counter-intuitive in our culture, our workplaces, our homes and even our churches. We send two messages: be yourself, but work hard to make sure that "yourself" measures up and accomplishes a lot. Why can't we simply rest in the message of "Just show up." Yes, be prepared; yes, learn and practice and train; yes, take responsibility. And then, show up and see what God wants to do...

praying that for you all,
alair

2 comments:

ghead said...

You learned that early on. Giving yourself plenty of time to succeed. Look forward to hearing about all the experiences to come.

Greg

Lianne said...

Thanks, Alair! I needed that!