Camp

I don't think I can put into words what the past weekend was like for me, so I think I'll just have to give you a few snapshots.

The basics: I spent the weekend at Camp Erin San Diego, one of many camps held for kids ages 6-17 who have lost a parent, relative, sibling or friend. These campers come for a weekend as part of their grief journey, to find fellow sojourners who are on the same road. They take part in fun camp activities, process their grief and emotions and meet other kids just like them who have experienced a loss. My role this weekend was to serve as a "camp counselor" for a group of amazing teenage girls. Myself, along with many other counselors, spent the entire time with our campers as they learned about themselves, shared their hearts, cried many tears and found that hope is possible in the midst of pain.

The highlights: This weekend, I got to be a friend...a counselor...a partner...a swimmer...a dancer...a support...a student...and a camper singing crazy songs that get stuck in your head, giggling about boys and hearing stories of some courageous, brave kids.

The after-effects: I'm exhausted, inspired, relieved, grateful, drained, energized, hopeful, reflective, and encouraged.

...and I still don't think I can put this weekend into words.

thanks for reading...
alair


No comments: